02 November 2006

Guy Fawkes

I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I still call November the 5th Guy Fawkes night, rather than the more PC 'Fireworks' or 'Bonfire' Night. For those outside the UK and the Commonwealth, Guy Fawkes was one of a band of Catholics who tried to blow up the Parliament during the State Opening in 1605. They were found out, tortured and executed. Every year his effigy is dragged around town (with cash donations being requested - "Penny for the Guy?"), then burnt on a bonfire and everyone celebrates his death. Or at least that's what always used to happen. One of our friends is the british wife of a US Army Officer. When she describes this tradition to Americans they are absolutely horrified!!!!

Everyone still has a good time with firework displays and a great big bonfire (though the first 'virtual' bonfire is being held this year because of Health and Safety concerns about a bonfire being held).

My wife's base held a fireworks display last night, but as it was the first cold night of the winter here in the UK, we watched it from our house. I only used a handheld camera - I think I would have had better success with my proper camera on a tripod.

No comments: